Monday, September 14, 2009

Transformative Visions in Northwest Contemporary Jewelry.

So I have been away from posting a bit-- a lot of studio work and I was also busy preparing for my powerpoint presentation at the Tacoma Art Museum: Transformative Visions in Northwest Contemporary Jewelry. The lecture began with Carolyn Benesh, who has been the co-editor of Ornament Magazine for the past 35 years, sharing her "observations on personal adornment with a focus on Northwest contemporary jewelry." She spoke about metalsmiths such as: Mary Lee Hu, Ron Ho, Ramona Solberg, Andy Cooperman and many more.

Afterwards, Micki Lippe, Marty and Brit Simone of Vinosus, and I each discussed our studio work, production line jewelry, business approach, and more. The following images are snapshots of a few slides from my powerpoint presentation, while I try to figure out a way to post my entire powerpoint.


Here is a preview of some of the detail photos of the 80's revisited pieces. I will be posting more of those images soon.


Last preview:


I was a bit nervous since it was my first powerpoint presentation since I graduated from the University of Washington. It was a really great experience and I am really thankful for the wonderful opportunity. The program was then concluded with a panel discussion that was moderated by Amy McBride, Arts Administrator for the City of Tacoma.

Afterwards, I had another look at the Ornament as Art: Avant-Garde Jewelry from the Helen Williams Drutt Collection with some of my friends. Unfortunately that particular exhibition has ended, but don't miss out on seeing-- Loud Bones: The Jewelry of Nancy Worden at Tacoma Art Museum. It closes September 20th!

No comments: